Welcome to Bologna the Emilia Romagna capital.
The city, the first settlements of which date back to at least one 1000 BC, has always been an important urban centre, first under the Etruscans and the Celts (Bona), then under the Romans (Bononia), then again in the Middle Ages, as a free municipality (for one century it was the fifth largest European city based on population).
Home to the oldest university in the world, University of Bologna, founded in 1088, Bologna hosts thousands of students who enrich the social and cultural life of the city. Famous for its towers and lengthy porticoes, Bologna has a well-preserved historical centre (one of the largest in Italy) thanks to a careful restoration and conservation policy which began at the end of the 1970s, on the heels of serious damage done by the urban demolition at the end of the 19th century as well as that caused by wars.
Closed by the Hotel you will find these attractions:
BASILICA DI SAN DOMENICO is one of the major churches in Bologna, Italy. The remains of Saint Dominic, founder of the Order of Preachers , are buried inside the exquisite shrine Arca di San Domenico, made by Nicola Pisano and his workshop, Arnolfo di Cambio and with later additions by Niccolò dell’Arca and the young Michelangelo.The square in front of the church is paved with pebbles, as it was in medieval times.
PIAZZA MAGGIORE was used by the faithful to listen to the sermon from the preacher from the pulpit on the left corner of the church. It was also the original cemetery.The column in the middle of the square is a brickwork column with the bronze statue of St Dominic (1627) and on the back of the square a column in marble, bricks and copper of the Madonna of the Rosary, after a design by Guido Reni (1632), commemorating the end of the plague in the city.Behind the first column stands the tomb of Rolandino de’ Passeggeri by Giovanni (1305) and on the left, adjoining a house, the tomb of Egidio Foscarari (1289), enriched with an ancient Byzantine marble arch with relief works from the 9th century.The Romanesque façade dates from 1240 and was restored in 1910 by the architect Raffaele Faccioli. In the center is a large, embroidered rose window. The lunette above the portal contains a copy (1921) of St Dominic blessing Bologna by Lucia Casalini-Torelli (1677–1762).On the left side of the façade is the Lodovico Ghisilardi chapel in Renaissance style.It was built as an example of Vitruvian classicism by the architect Baldassarre Peruzziaround 1530.
PALAZZO COMUNALE has been the seat of the local government since 1336. Many simply view it from outside whereas those who dare to roam its corridors will discover many illustrious and priceless works of art lurking throughout.The imposing construction is attributed to numerous transformations, extensions and alterations since 1287 when the Comune purchased itAn ancien portico
BANCA D’ITALIA Skirting the bank are porticoes that are unmistakably the most colourful in the city. They were built by the architect A.Cipolla 1870-1880. The art on 25 vaults were completed by Gaetano Lodi 1862-1865.There‟s also an important theme throughout as it‟s reported that Lodi picked up on this style of figurative neo-renaissance art as a consequence of national unity which beganto sweep the country.Lodi abandoned the earlier styles from the 1500‟s that he had studied and therefore dedicated himself to painting in a „rafaellesque‟ style which was rich in griffons, centaurs, raceme, garlands, grotesque masks and birds.In order to glorify Italian unity every vault illustrates four sections that represent a separate story: ancient times till the modern, explorations and geographic discoveries, civilization, nature, the story of Bologna. One single colour was used more than others called „Pompeian Red‟ again to symbolise the idea of national unity.
COLLEGIO DI SPAGNA: The fact that this place is a private college for Spaniards makes it quite difficult to visit, coupled with its status equivalent to a consulate makes it nearly impossible. An appointment and clear intentions about your visit will go a long way – especially if your name is Juan or Maria!The decorative work on the portal by Formigine over the entrance dates to 1525 illustrates splendid detail and is a wonderful precursor to what lies within. Actually, the main door is often open so it‟s not difficult to wander in and get lost. This was the retirement home of Cardinal Gil De Albornoz, archbishop of Toledo, whose forces defeated the Visconti from Milan in 1361. After his death the fortresslike complex was turned into a residence for Spanish students